On behalf of the Technology and Learning Program (TLP), welcome back to CSU Chico for Fall 2012. You will notice changes to the Portal regarding access to the learning management system, Blackboard (Bb) Learn. All fall 2012 classes are in Bb Learn. Vista has retired. Faculty may access old Vista courses in order to transfer content or for grade review but student enrollments of this semester’s courses will not be there. Each fall 2012 Bb Learn course section has been created with a few basic tools and a welcome page, and these are currently visible to students.
Why use Bb Learn? It is now our current and improved learning management system. All students will have access to their courses in this one system rather than two systems like last semester. Bb Learn has an improved Grade Center, an updated web interface, easier file management, and easier integration with publisher content. Also it will integrate well with other complimentary technologies and services that expand the features and functionality, making it more comprehensive and innovative to engage 21st Century Learners, increasing efficiencies in the learning and teaching processes.
Since we started offering workshops on Bb Learn, 643 faculty and staff have attended at least one training and many of you have attended several or our complete series. Hundreds of faculty have attended workshops during Spring and Summer, and each of them have had their names added to our upcoming drawing for two iPads. There’s still time to take a workshop and get into the drawing until Friday, August 24. We’ll announce the winners on August 31! See the TLP website for the continuing schedule of workshops, www.csuchico.edu/tlp/.
TLP Can Also Help You with the Following Options in Bb Learn
• Bb Collaborate allows faculty to have a virtual classroom, virtual office hours, and virtual chat with their students or students with one another via text, sound, and/or video.
• Bb Drive allows faculty to drag and drop files from desktop directly into courses, with easy editing and updating directly from your hard drive’s folders into Bb Learn.
• Turnitin.com has many features. The most popular being plagiarism prevention software or teaching students how to appropriately cite resources in their papers. There is also GradeMark that allows faculty to more efficiently edit each student’s paper online, inserting comments from a library of common annotations into their paper.
• Some publisher’s content can be integrated in Bb Learn, such as McGraw-Hill.
• Access to Bb Learn from mobile devices is on the horizon.
A New Chico State Blog!
We would like to introduce you to a new blog, http://blogs.csuchico.edu/dlt/, from ATEC’s Distributed Learning Technologies who are the technological support for academic technology. This blog will communicate more technically and specifically the status, updates and maintenance windows for Bb Learn and surrounding systems. It is hot off the virtual press, so it may take a day or two to appear, but do check it out.
TLP’s blog is found at http://blogs.csuchico.edu/tlp/ — this blog deals with new uses and high impact practices of integrating technology into your curriculum…pedagogy and technology.